08 October | London | 15 Years On: Time to Stop the War
15 Years On: Time to Stop the War
Sat 08 Oct | 10am-5pm
23-28 Great Russell Street
TICKETS AVAILABLE HERE
10-11am PLENARY: 15 YEARS OF THE WAR ON TERROR
Congress Hall Malalai Joya • Sen. Paul Gavan • Chris Nineham • Andrew Muray • Maggie Martin • Michelle Allison
Chair: Murad Qureshi
11.15-12.45pm PARALLEL WORKSHOPS
Congress Hall 1. War and Internationalism
Tariq Ali • John Rees • Shelly Asquith
Chair: Shadia Edwards-Dashti
Congress Suite 2. War by Proxy: Saudi Arabia and the Gulf
Kim Sharif • Saeed Shehabi
Chair: Stephen Bell
Invision 1 3. Islamophobia: War and Muslims at Home and Abroad
(2nd floor) Anas Altikriti • Kevin Courtney • Maz Saleem • Steven Saxby
Chair: Shabbir Lakha
1.45-3.15pm PARALLEL WORKSHOPS
Congress Hall 1. Middle East: Endless War?
Dr Alan Shemo • Giles Fraser • John Hilary • Maha Younes
Chair: Judith Orr
Congress Suite 2. Nato and US Foreign Policy after the Election
Medea Benjamin • Shahrar Ali • Sen. Paul Gavan
Chair: Billy Hayes
Invision 1 3. Killing by Remote Control: Drones and Geopolitics
(2nd floor) Chris Cole • Malalai Joya • Jen Gibson • Maya Evans
Chair: Terina Hine
3.30-5.00pm PLENARY: NEXT STEPS FOR THE MOVEMENT
Congress Hall Jeremy Corbyn MP • Kate Hudson • Salma Yaqoob • Ben Griffin • Lindsey German • Medea Benjamin
Chair: Murad Qureshi
Meet the Speakers:
- Shahrar Ali is a Green Party politician and was the party's deputy leader.
- Tariq Ali is a writer and filmmaker, as well as a veteran of the movement against the Vietnam war.
- Michelle Allison is the Kurdistan National Congress (KNK) Woman Representative.
- Anas Altikriti is from the British Muslim Initiative. He is of Iraqi origin and has been a campaigner and speaker against the war.
- Shelly Asquith is a vice president of the National Union of Students.
- Medea Benjamin is a US anti-war activist and the co-founder of Code Pink.
- Chris Cole is the founder of Drone Wars UK and a former director of the Fellowship of Reconciliation.
- Jeremy Corbyn MP is the leader of the Labour Party and was the chair of the Stop the War Coalition.
- Kevin Courtney is the general secretary of the National Union of Teachers.
- Maya Evans is a peace campaigner and a member of Voices for Creative Non-Violence UK.
- Giles Fraser is a parish priest of St Mary's, Newington, as well as a journalist and a broadcaster. He was Canon Chancellor at St Paul' Cathedral.
- Paul Gavan is a Sinn Féin senator from Limerick.
- Lindsey German is an author, the convenor of the Stop the War Coalition and one of its founders.
- Jen Gibson is a US lawyer who leads Reprieve's work on drones in Pakistan.
- Ben Griffin is an ex-soldier who fought in Iraq. He is a member of Veterans for Peace.
- John Hilary is the executive director of War on Want and an author.
- Kate Hudson is the general secretary of CND and an officer of the Stop the War Coalition.
- Malalai Joya was one of the first women MPs in Afghanistan and has faced widespread opposition for her campaigning against occupation and war.
- Reg Keys is the father of a UK soldier who died in Iraq. He stood against Tony Blair in the parliamentary elections.
- Maggie Martin is the co-director of Iraq Veterans Against the War in the US. She was a soldier in Iraq.
- Andrew Murray is the chief-of-staff at Unite the Union. He is the former chair of the Stop the War Coalition.
- Chris Nineham is an author, founding member and vice chair of Stop the War Coalition.
- John Rees is an author, founding member and national officer of Stop the War.
- Maz Saleem is a campaigner against racism, war and Islamophobia.
- Steven Saxby is a parish priest of St Barnabas in Walthamstow and a peace campaigner.
- Kim Sharif is a human rights activist, solicitor, and director of Yemeni Human Rights.
- Saeed al-Shehabi is a Bahraini activist, journalist, and member of the Bahrain Freedom Movement.
- Dr Alan Shemo is a UK representative of the Kurdish PYD, which is based in Syria.
- Salma Yaqoob is a prominent campaigner against war and Islamophobia.
- Maha Younes is a Palestinian campaigner.
- Murad Qureshi is the chair of Stop the War Coalition. He was a member of the London Assembly.
- Stephen Bell is an anti-war campaigner and a Stop the War officer.
- Shabbir Lakha is a steering committee member of Stop the War Coalition.
- Billy Hayes is a national officer of Stop the War Coalition. He was the general secretary of the Communication Workers' Union.
- Judith Orr is a writer, campaigner, and a national officer of the Stop the War Coalition
- Terina Hine is an anti-war campaigner.
- Shadia Edwards-Dashti is a national officer of Stop the War Coalition.