Oppose Trump & May's Plans for Escalation in Syria - Model Resolution
Model resolution for Political Parties and Trade Union Branches on Syria
This branch notes:
- The continuing terrible attacks on the Syrian people - including the alleged chemical bomb on Douma - have caused so much death and devastation.
- The fact that Western intervention in the Middle East over the last 17 years has been disastrous. It has led to vast numbers of dead and displaced and has devastated whole societies
- Britain has been intervening openly in Syria since 2015 along with the US and others. The result of this and all foreign interventions including that of Russia and Iran has only been more death and destruction.
- Repeated foreign interventions from all sides have made the situation in the Middle East more dangerous than at any time since the War on Terror began.
This branch believes:
- The anti-war arguments have been proved right again and again since the start of the War on Terror.
- Further Western bombing can only prolong the cycle of violence in Syria and the misery of the Syrian people. It also risks creating a regional war and a potentially catastrophic confrontation with Russia. Only an end to all foreign interventions and a political and diplomatic solution can bring lasting peace.
- Once again, our movement needs to stand against calls for further Western attacks, to oppose all foreign intervention and demand a political not a military approach.
This branch resolves:
- To do everything possible to stop Western escalation in Syria.
- To lobby MPs to oppose any further action.
- To circulate anti-war arguments and support anti-war protest.