Spring 2018 Model Resolution
This branch notes:
- Recent Western military interventions in Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya and Syria have been disastrous, leading to the deaths of over a million people, the displacement of millions more, and increased violence at home and abroad.
-The wars pursued by our governments have been opposed by the majority of the population who want to see a change in foreign policy.
- That the so-called special relationship has helped to tie Britain to a failed and damaging foreign policy.
This branch believes:
- That Britain needs a new, independent, foreign policy based on co-operation and diplomacy. That such a policy would end the waste of billions of pounds that would be better spent on welfare, education and the NHS.
- That arms sales and political support for despotic and aggressive regimes like Saudi Arabia must stop.
- That the anti-war movement has played an important role in creating anti-war opinion in this country and strengthening the movement is essential to achieving a change in foreign policy.
This branch resolves:
- To affiliate to Stop the War Coalition.
- To oppose future foreign military interventions by the UK government.
- To demand the cancellation of Trump's visit.