Stop the bombing of Syria - lobby your MP
UK defence secretary Michael Fallon's speech on 2 June 2015 was a warning sign of this government's intention to bomb Syria, and it raises the possibility of a vote in Parliament in the coming months.
The proposal is in response to the terrible attack in Tunisia by ISIS that killed 30 UK holidaymakers. But bombing Syria will do nothing to stop further attacks.
Support for ISIS in Tunisia has grown in the past two years, largely as a result of the growth of terrorism in neighbouring Libya. That in turn dates from the British and French led bombing of Libya in 2011, which has killed tens of thousands and has created a state of civil war, terrorism and misery for its people.
Two years ago, the UK coalition government was defeated when it tried to win a vote in parliament to bomb Syria. We argued then that bombing and intervention would not solve the problems in Syria. That is as true today. Indeed the savage US bombing already taking place in Syria - and in Iraq, helped by the British - is argued by many to be helping ISIS recruitment.The terrible events in Tunisia should not be allowed to justify further wars. The terrorism now growing across the region has been fomented by recent wars Britain has been involved in.
We must act now to stop this new military campaign, as we successfully prevented bombing in 2013. Stop the War is planning a summer campaign of action. Please support us financially if you are able.
Build pressure against a new war
- Lobby your MP now. It takes two minutes.
- Participate in the debate by phoning local radio stations.
- The topic of bombing Syria is bound to loom large this week, especially in radio prime time (around 8-9 am and 5-6 pm).
- LBC (Leading Britain's Conversation) is a prominent example of a talk radio station (97.3 FM, its telephone number is 0345 60 60 973).
- BBC Radio 5 Live (AM: 693 kHz, 909 kHz, 990 kHz ) is another major national talk radio station. Its telephone number is 0500 909693.
- For a list of local BBC radio stations, click here.
- Campaigning costs money: Please make a donation to support our work.